Upward Challenge: Global Edition
Year 2020 has brought us into a changed world, where social distancing is the new “normal” and pandemics threaten the gathering of the Body of Christ.
Through prayer, the team under Presbyterian Reformed Ministry International’s (PRMI) Youth and the Leadership Team have taken lead from Holy Spirit to bring Upward Challenge across borders and into the homes and communities of the Body of Christ all over the globe.
What is Upward Challenge: Global Edition?
Over the five days we will dive deep into the Power of Prayer, this includes 12 lessons adapted for youth from the Dunamis Project’s The Power of Prayer. You will be encouraged to pray in new ways, listen for the voice of the Lord, pray out loud corporately, and build a stronger foundation in personal prayer.
How will Upward Challenge be global?
Using the internet, online google docs, various media apps and the “old-fashioned” snail mail systems, your leaders will be able to reach out to communities and individuals all over the world.
Bringing more people than ever to PRMI’s thriving ministry and important teachings on prayer, young people all over the globe will now have instruction on how to cooperate and work with the power of Holy Spirit in their own lives.
How will it work?
- Live Time- Monday through Friday on July 20-24th we will be “live” online from 12:00pm to 5:00pm Eastern Standard Time.During the Live Time we will have worship, teaching, leadership development, games, small groups and more!
The leadership team will be working from the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.
- Break Outs- Before and after Live Time, we have set aside some other gathering times to encourage fellowship, prayer, games, discussions and meetings. These will be offered before Live Time at 9:00am and 10:00am and then after Live Time at 9:00pm and 10:00pm.
All times are in Eastern Standard Time. We hope these Break Outs will give opportunity for folks from other sides of the globe to mingle and learn in a time that is best for their own time zones.
- Small Groups- This is where Upward Challenge: Global Edition gets really interesting. As quarantine regulations are different around the globe, there will be opportunities for some to gather in small groups in person while others will have to maintain distance and login from home.
- Those logging on individually will be called “Indies”
- Approved groups who gather in person will be called “Pods.” The Pods have been set-up and determined by your leadership team, so a list of where the Pods are located is coming soon!
All the small groups (indies and pods) will participate in special discussions and practical application of the materials they learn called “Lab Times” during the Live Time each day.
Small groups will be put together by geographical region to encourage friendship and fellowship beyond the week of Upward Challenge.
- WhatsApp Chats- This app is free and already has capabilities to send voice messages, images, and text across borders. Small Groups will be able to communicate outside of the Live Time Lab Times to foster friendship, trust and community.
WhatsApp also allows us to share materials, prayer and fellowship in an around the clock way.
- Online Diary- Using Google Doc’s online, we will set up written forums for participants and volunteers to share their own personal thoughts.
LIVE: We want to encourage participants to live the same life in any situation, and that is a life following God’s plan for them (Jeremiah 29:11-14). Each lesson will have questions to help participants focus how they live-out their own personal prayer life.
LAUGH: We want to encourage participants to seek out secure trust in the Lord so that they can laugh with all abandon. Joy comes from the Lord and it is most definitely our strength (Romans 15:13).
There will be a Google Doc that allows participants to share Christian jokes, memes and stories.
LOVE: We want to encourage participants to love the same way that Jesus does: sacrificially. God is love and to know Him is to love others earnestly (1 Peter 4:8).
Encouragement can be some of the best love we can show young people. A Google Doc will be created for participants and volunteers to write “Warm Fuzzies” out to people.
Warm Fuzzies are notes of encouragement to others, letting them know they are seen and valued.
PRAY: We want to encourage participants to practice prayer individually and in groups to hear and discern the Lord (James 5:16). A Google Doc will be created for everyone to post prayer requests, replies to prayers and prayer victories.
RESOURCES: All of our worksheets, personal solo-time, instructions and other materials will be digital and easily downloaded.
- BOX DELIVERY- What could be better than getting a package of awesomeness in the mail? Every Participant will receive a box in the mail including: A Prayer Journal, T-Shirt, Materials, Instructions, and plenty of Fun Surprises!This is one way that we can strive to build a community physically while maintaining social distance and safety for those who are at risk.
Who is leading?
The Leadership Team for Upward Challenge: Global Edition is blessed to have volunteers from all over the globe praying, preparing, writing, thinking, and working to bring about the Upward Challenge: Global Edition experience.
Stephanie McClain, Coordinator of Youth and Young Adults, is working with Directors Ashley Patton and Victoria Oosting along with the rest of the team whom you’ll meet the closer we get to the event!
How do I get involved?
There are three different ways you can be involved in this ministry:
1. Participant– Youth ages 12-18 years of age. It is also helpful if you have a relationship with Jesus Christ already, but if not, you are always welcome! All you need to do is register by July 1st.
Registration will be cut off on July 1st so we can get the boxes to Indies and Pods by the week of our Live time!
Note: T-shirts are ordered on June 21 so any registrations beyond that will be digital download
2. Volunteer– We are looking for adults to join intercession teams, help co-lead small groups, and more! Feeling called to help? Register and let us know how you would like to help. We will contact you as soon as we can!
3. Sponsor– Mailing packages all over the world is not cheap. Many of our participants can afford a box at $25.00 each, however this ministry will reach into places where $25.00 US dollars is a lot of money. Consider sponsoring a box for a participant who otherwise wouldn’t be able to get one.
The box will be more than a gift, it is a gesture that speaks to the value of prayer formation in that young person. Register to Sponsor a box or two, or simply send an offering of love to the Young Adult Leadership Development ministries at PRMI.