1 Timothy 2:1-4 commands us to pray for and give thanks for our government leaders and those in authority over us.
The blessing of obeying this commandment is, we can live a life of dignity and peace.
I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.1 Timothy 2:1-4 (NIV)
As a follower of Christ, this is part of our faithful work to pray for our leaders and those in authority, be they royalty, prime ministers, elected presidents, governors, sheriffs, or elected representatives at all levels.
Sometimes praying for our leaders is easy. Perhaps government leaders are leading with vision, with excellence and transparency, solving problems and improving the lives of the citizenry.
Sometimes praying for our leaders is difficult. Perhaps we are in disagreement with our leaders. Perhaps we think their lives are so far from God that we think there is no hope for them. Perhaps we think their vision of the country or area is different than ours.
That does not change Paul’s charge to us as believers.
There are biblical principles and ideas we can all agree upon as we pray for our national and local governmental and civil leaders. Therefore, we can obey and pray for those in authority over us.
These same points should be guides for our prayers for the government leaders of all nations and levels, no matter where we live.
Let us pray
Let us pray for our national and local leaders in the following areas:
1. I pray he or she would have a genuine encounter with God that overtly transforms their life. Father God, give them a new heart.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.John 3:16
2. I pray this encounter result in the Holy Spirit fruit of self control, especially regarding expression of thoughts, and management of personal relationships. Father God, bend their will and transform their life.
Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain.Psalm 119:36 (NIV)
3. I pray she or he would surround themself with wise, intelligent and godly men and women that can give wise counsel and that the leaders will take the time to stop, ask, listen, discern and obey. Father God, give them true friends that want the best for them and the nation.
Let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance-Proverbs 1:5 (NIV)
Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.Proverbs 27:6 (NIV)
Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.”1 Corinthians 15:33 (NIV)
4. I pray our leaders would have divine understanding of our national situation and needs, and receive divine wisdom as to how to deal with these needs. Father God give them wisdom and understanding.
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.James 1:5 (NIV)
5. I pray for protection from their own sinfulness, especially in the area of pride and arrogance. Father God, give them humility.
Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.James 4:10 (NIV)
Anyone who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; anyone on whom it falls will be crushed.”Matthew 21:44 (NIV)
6. I pray for protection from slander, misrepresentation, and unrighteous judgment. Father God, be their protector and may their true identity come from you.
You will be protected from the lash of the tongue, and need not fear when destruction comes.Job 5:21 (NIV)
7. I pray physical protection from sickness, disease, physical harm and assassination. Father God, be the healer, the shield and the rear guard of our leader.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.Psalm 91:2-4 (NIV)