Praying “Thy Kingdom Come”
“This, then, is how you should pray: “‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.”
The picture on the left by El Greco shows Jesus Christ as Lord and King in the Kingdom of God with His hand on the whole world showing that all authority in heaven and on earth belongs to Him.
Fill out the words of the Lord’s Prayer with the words of the Heidelberg Catechism. “Your kingdom come” means:
Extending the Kingdom of God and growing the Church
- Rule us by your Word and Spirit in such a way that more and more we submit to you.1
Preserve your church and make it grow.
Praying down Demonic Strongholds that block the Advancement of the Kingdom of God
- Destroy the devil’s work; destroy every force which revolts against you and every conspiracy against your holy Word.
Persist unto Victory!
- Do this until your kingdom fully comes, when you will be all in all.
- Pray that the Lord will empower and direct each of us, PRMI and the DFI to be means by which these prayers of “Thy Kingdom Come” may be answered.
- Pray that our single-minded purpose will be to be used by Jesus to advance the Kingdom of God as well as “destroy the works of the Devil”